Friday, October 9, 2009

This Could Definatley be Better

There are many things that could be improved if we take a moment to think about it. Everyday things are wasted or not used to its fullest capacity, and thus we as consumers end up buying more. As i was thinking about what to write about for this prompt I thought of two possible things that could be improved.
Laptops that run on solar power. I;m not certain if this is already invented or in progress, but I know that this would definitely be a helpful invention. Many times when I am sitting in class taking notes, my laptop warns that I have critically low battery power. It is very frustrating for the laptop to die when I need it to work. Then I have to fish out my charging cord and find an outlet or go back to the dorm and let it charge. It usually takes a few hours for my computer to charge, only to produce about 2 hours of uncharged time. I think if laptops were built with solar panels or something on the surface it could absorb energy from the sun throughout the day. So, when i take my laptop out for class there will be some battery power left. Also I wouldn't need to use my charger as often because the sun will always be charging my computer. This type of technology is definitely worth while because it would save a lot of money and energy, not to mention the effort it would save me from getting my charger and finding an outlet.
Wasted food is another problem that could be dealt with. I know there are millions of people starving all over the world and here we are in America wasting food by the tons. People, myself included, often say, 'Whether or not I eat my food, the people in other countries are still going to be hungry.' But why is that? Why can't we use the leftover food from McDonald's or other restaurants to feed people. My friends who work in various food companies all tell me that at the end of the day they have so much food left over that they are required to throw away. One of my friends who worked in a bakery was not even allowed to take the leftovers home! She was forced to throw it away. I think each individual restaurant--or maybe they can create a unified company-- that collects the leftover food and distributes it to the poor. I know that we may not be able to give the food to overseas countries because of spoiling, but we can at least solve hunger problems in North America. Notice, I said North America and not the United States of America. Our neighboring countries such as Canada and Mexico both have poverty in there midst as well. I think if we were able to distribute this 'wasted' food freely at the end of the day to people in the streets who needed it we would be making a dent in the problem of world hunger.
I think it would be interesting to see these two suggestions put into action. I may not know all the financial and technological problems it may cause, but it's worth a try.

1 comment:

  1. You've given me two problem statements. Now think of solutions...laptops that charge under a classroom's fluorescent lights...food co-ops to distribute leftovers...think about it.

    ReplyDelete