Friday, October 23, 2009

Acumen Fund

I find it very refreshing to see a corporation fighting for the good of humanity. They use their money to support those who have innovative ideas about how to end world poverty. There's this TV show on ABC entitled "Shark Tank" in which people with inventions present their ideas to billionaires in order for them to invest in their product. I thought that this was good because it promotes and furthers people's dreams. However Acumen Fun has taken it a step further and are investing in those who have the ultimate goal of helping someone else. I find their efforts hopeful, yet discouraging.

Watching this group has forced me to question if whether I'm doing enough for those in need. In the clip I watched they had invited a number of college students who were driven to end world poverty. And although I am proud of Andrews for having all kinds of clubs and missionaries that also have the same goal, I wonder if we could do something bigger; something that could really change the world in a big way. Watching this makes me question whether or not we are doing the same things over and over, I'm not saying that what we're doing is bad and pointless, I am sure that we are helping a lot of people. But could we do more? Set up companies in which the people could support themselves, hold free workshops in Benton Harbor giving them the tools they need to survive. I know that we have health fairs and parades, but is that enough? I remember once I spoke to a teacher at the middle school in Benton Harbor and she said that the students needed speech pathologists to teach them how to communicate, and I thought to myself, "we have so many speech pathology majors who know how to give speech therapy." I guess this just led me to ask: could me be doing more? And the answer is it starts with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment