Friday, October 2, 2009

Poor Service

Ok, not service that is poor, but service to the poor. Sure, we pay taxes and whatnot that is supposed to support the poor. For some people, that is the most effective way they can support others. Just yesterday I was talking with a friend about how I want to help people, but I don't have the means to help everyone right now. When I'm a graduated and employed person, I want to help other people personally so I can see that my help did them some good. I want to be able to take people in who need a place to stay, I want to help put other people through school, and I want to give things to people who actually need them. Helping automatically may be best for some people, but I like the personal touch.
Another facet of this discussion includes intentionally helping versus automatically helping. Sure, most everyone pays taxes, and some of that money goes to help people. But choosing to help people above and beyond what is required is important. Choosing to help people intentionally is what makes the difference between apathy and sincere empathy. If more Americans would actively choose to sacrifice and purposely choose to help people our whole country would probably be better off.

1 comment:

  1. Good point! Being FORCED to pay taxes in support of some far-off cause is not the same as CHOOSING to work for positive change in someone's life. That takes a "from the heart" commitment.

    ReplyDelete