Friday, October 23, 2009

Acumen Fund

The Acumen Fund video by Seth Godin was not what I expected it to be. They did show a video of the "typical" poor people and tell us why we need to contribute. I really like the idea of giving people in third world countries the opportunity to stimulate their economies instead of us ( as Americans) truing to 'spoon-feed' them so to speak. We, as Americans, think we do so much when we travel to third world countries and give a bag of food and some clothes--not to say there's anything wrong with that, however it is better for the locals to help their own countries for the long run. The video was very straightforward in acknowledging what needs to happen in these developing countries so that they can move forward.

The challenge that Godin presented to the college students was another aspect that caught mt attention. It is true that many college students have a set course in mind and usually don't deviate from their path. I thought it was interesting that he acknowledged, that in order for change to occur, we ( college students) need to step out of the area that we feel the most comfortable in. And in doing so we are going to fail. This is a big issue for me because I am in my career path hoping that I wont fail because I feel comfortable in my field. me, and many other college students are afraid to make the decision for change because it will bring a lot of failures and obstacles that may not be overcome until years later. when I think about all the positive changes that are effecting the world today, I imagine that someone had to take the first step to failure in order to succeed. The Acumen Fund is definitely one of those out of the box, yet obvious projects that should have been started a long time ago. Change lies in the hands of those who are willing to take advantage of an opportunity and do something out of the ordinary. The main question that looms in my mind from this video is what would happen if I decided to step outside of the box and do something that was never attempted before? Do I have the power to start a change? Its scary how much potential is wasted because people do not seize the opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of people change careers because they dislike their job, their boss, their company.
    I´ve been searching for information about Changing career and I found a company called Ascentador.
    Cheers,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete