Friday, October 30, 2009

In my perusal of the corporate philosophy of google, I was struck by two points that perfectly embody the sometimes destructive nature of our current society. The first was that "fast is better than slow." On first glance, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this point of view because for most of us, it is exactly how we feel. But the question that should be asked is, is it really better all of the time? There are many situations where it would be good for people to slow down and be careful. One example that stands out to me in particular is the clothing industry. I know I am not the only person who has bought an item of clothing and had it fall apart within a year of the purchase. I find it sad that there is so much rush to produce something to turn a profit that the only way to get real quality is to spend hundreds of dollars on things. This is one of the central standpoints of Google that I think is has already pervaded society, and it can only get worse as time passes and urbanization becomes more prevalent.

The second thing that I found interesting in their belief system was that "Great is never good enough." It fascinates me that we have come to a point in our society that you can never be good enough. I mean, mediocrity is never a good thing but at the same time, the stress that is put on us either by parents or ourselves is destructive because it causes us to constantly strive for the next level. I'm not saying that I believe in giving up at any level, but because of the fast paced society that we live in, people are scared to slow down and reflect on what they are doing and where they are going because those few minutes that they spent thinking could cost them the promotion that they had been working non-stop for for so long. To say that being great, which is basically as good as you can get, is not good enough is basically to promote a dog-eat-dog lifestyle that makes relationships so hard for people to develop. The philosophy of Google basically sums up the actions of our evolving society, and the biggest question I have is, when do we get to the point where we realize the destructive nature of our lifestyles?

No comments:

Post a Comment