Friday, October 30, 2009

Google's Philosophy and How it Affects Consumption

I happen to be an avid googler. I google anything I have a question on. From a possible sickness I think I may coming down with, to what colors/fashions look better on which skin tones or body types. Google is my main source of information, so imagine my excitement when, for class, we were asked to write a blog about Google's philosophy and how it could affect our consuming habits and America's consuming habits over the next ten years.

Through Google, I've found that Google's philosophy is summed up into 10 short statements:
  1. Focus on the user and all else will follow.
  2. It's best to do one thing really, really well.
  3. Fast is better than slow.
  4. Democracy on the web works.
  5. You don't need to be at your desk to need an answer.
  6. You can make money without doing evil.
  7. There's always more information out there.
  8. The need for information crosses all borders.
  9. You can be serious without a suit.
  10. Great just isn't good enough.

I believe we'd be smarter consumers if we followed Google's philosophy. Google believes in the collective sharing of information and that there's always more to learn. If we approached our shopping endeavors that way, and if businesses would see consumers more as partners than as fresh bait, I think we'd all benefit more from comsumption. We need to be smarter consumers. We need to research products and ask ourselves, "Do I really need this?" and "How often will I use this in the future?" before indulging in reckless shopping. If businesses were to follow Google's philosophy, by making sure to advertise their products without evil intentions, then they'd have more loyal customers who trust them. I'll believe Google has a great philosophy that would benefit the world of consumption if consumers and businesses alike followed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment