Sunday, October 11, 2009

Why doesn't Andrews do that?

I wonder how much money is spent on take-out boxes by the average AU student every year. Perhaps they feel better paying for it since they are somehow more aware of how these things affect the environment, however the biodegradable material still has to be processed and release its carbon emissions into the atmosphere.

When I considered what I could change in my life to help the environment, I didn't come up with anything highly exciting. For example, I could use a laptop instead of a desktop computer, which is always plugged in. I could unplug it every time I'm not using it, but who does that? Besides, I could finally put my elderly Dell to rest. I'm already using my oven as a toaster instead of buying a real toaster. And I have nothing against using a bubbling brook to cool my groceries that require refrigeration, but there are no bubbling brooks flowing into Lamson Hall. I think the best option lies in the cafeteria.

Why doesn't the AU Bookstore sell reusable take-out boxes that students could purchase one time to use in the cafeteria? The weight could be set in the system just like plates and bowls, but the students wouldn't have to pay money for a take-out box, producing less trash and/or recycling, depending upon whether or not you take the time to look for a blue container. You can wash the stackable containers when you get back to your room and the fork, knife and spoon come with it as well. Maybe people would get tired of carrying plastic containers around, but make it smaller than the biology textbooks with expandable lids and it wouldn't even be a hassle to put in your backpack. Let's just see if my "invention" is mentioned at next year's AU Top Ten with VP Faehner.

1 comment:

  1. Less waste and a new revenue stream for the bookstore... I like it!

    ReplyDelete