Thursday, October 8, 2009

Um... Why Aren't They Doing That?

I love the American democratic system. I love that I have freedom and that every four years I get to vote for a Presidential candidate of my choice. But one thing that I just can't understand is our antiquated voting system. The electoral college is something that made sense 200 years ago, but today seems out of touch with a culture who is more likely to vote for an American Idol contestant than a Congressman or President!

I wish that the United States would change it's winner-take-all policy per state because I think it keeps Republicans from voting in states that always swing Democrat, and vice versa. What does the electoral college even accomplish besides taking away the popular vote? And why is the popular vote not good enough in the Presidential election when it seems to be fine for any other election we hold in America? Why are they still doing that?

1 comment: