Thursday, October 29, 2009

Descarte, Kant, Nietzche, and Google?

When I think of a list of viable philosophers and philosophy Google isn't the first thing that comes to mind. Actually, up until this week Google wouldn't have come to my mind at all. I guess I hadn't really thought about it before but I suppose all good companies (and plenty of bad ones too) have a philosophy - a model they run their business by. Google's philosophy is different than you might think. It involves openness, transparency, and community. The question is, does this model effect purchasing and consuming?

I believe that any company that uses an approach similar to Google's will see an increase in sales, therefore also increasing consumption. People are more likely to buy a company's product if they feel appreciated as a customer. On a different level Google encourages consumption itself simply by providing a chain link to practically every shopping site on the internet. Therefore which ever way you stack it, the creation of Google and the philosophy of Google does have an effect on consumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment