Friday, October 30, 2009

Google's Philosphy

I have an inherent distrust in big businesses: Wal-Mart, McDonald's, Starbucks (although I do appreciate their promise to buy coffee from small farmers using environmentally sound practices, I often wonder if they're following through), and Google. Can something so prevelant be "safe" (whatever that means)?

I also believe that all good buisnesses should have a well thought out business model and philosophy. They should have a corporate, unified front, clearly stated goals, a defined method for dealing with problems, and a company "attitude". I was extremely pleased to discover that Google had this. And I was further pleased to find that what Google believes is important, I believe is important as well.

The first of these statements that caught my attention is: "Focus on the user and all else will follow". This makes me, a user, feel very safe. This company is commited to taking care of me. I am a priority--not profit.

The second is: "It's best to do one thing really, really well." I think this is a sound buisness model. One can either do lots of things mediocrally (Wal-Mart)--which has it's place--or one can do a single thing very well. I think the fact that Google has chosen the latter serves my needs better.

The rest have to do with fleshing out Google's business model. "Here's how we're going to do this one thing." type of statements, which I encourage you to look at sometime. But the statement I appreciate the most is: "You can make money without doing evil." This has become increasingly apparent over the course of Google's history. Google has, indeed, become a very large company and has made lots and lots of money yet, there has been no ill effects as felt by other large companies. I, as a user and a world citizen, feel like Google has added to the world instead of consuming it for the corporation's exclusive profit. Which, in the end, makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment