Friday, October 23, 2009

acumen fund encouragement

Seth Godin's perspective on changing the world certainly has an interesting and encouraging perspective on making a difference. He mentions that to cause change is to retreat from your comfort zone; he warns us that things will be hard at first and that we "will fail, over and over again". What really caught my attention was the soap and $2 analogy. I like this analogy because it puts a different perspective to money and its worth. People often times think people with less money are less happy than those with more money, but in reality happiness is not weighed on a scale but rather in where your mindset is at. You control how happy you are.
The other point that stuck out to me was his example of pursuing a doctoral career. Seth Godin says that every one of us could be doctors but that would be a bad idea because we're signing up to be a cog in a broken system." I didn't really find this convincing or appealing to me because not everyone was meant to change the world. Some people actually want to be doctors, and thus, this becomes an insult to them in a small way. I'm also kind of confused about what the "broken system" actually is... Actually...the more I think about it, the more confused I get, but as of now, I feel as though some people are meant to create change, and others are meant to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment