Monday, October 26, 2009

Creative Problem-solving and the Acumen Fund as the Future of Charity

Having recently lost some weight, I went on a quest to find better-fitting pants. However, I had a dilemma--I couldn't go shopping with my mom. She always gave me her true (sometimes too true) opinion of what was appropriate and looked best. We might not have agreed--ok, never agreed--but I valued her honesty and sense of class. It might not seem like a big deal, but a mom is more worthwhile than a thousand girlfriends. So I started asking random mothers their opinions; it worked. As it turns out, almost all moms have similar opinions about how young women should dress.

But why is this important? A search for jeans isn't, really. But stepping outside my comfort zone and asking complete strangers for their opinions allowed me to observe something about a unique demographic and apply my new found knowledge to the problem at hand. When confronting a problem, whether individually or with a community, we need to keep in mind how to access opinions other than our own. Without a fresh outlook on a problem, the issue grows stagnant and no new growth can occur. Actively searching for new opinions keeps critical thinking from becoming redundant.

The Acumen fund does just that--it keeps itself from growing stagnant by using new and innovative ways to make charity a renewable resource for the giver and receiver. They search for methods that will keep both the receiver from becoming dependent on charity and the giver from thinking too narrow-mindedly.

1 comment:

  1. Great that you guys are thinking hard about these issues!

    My name is Wei Wei - I work at Acumen Fund on campus outreach for The Blue Sweater, our CEO Jacqueline Novogratz's book about her own journey from college student to founder of Acumen.

    We're humbled and encouraged that students are responding to our work. I realize you guys already have a full syllabus for this year, but if any of you have an interest in learning more, please pick up the Blue Sweater or join our community site at http://community.acumenfund.org.

    Thanks again! Please feel free to contact me through the community site!

    ReplyDelete