Friday, October 23, 2009

Creative Problem Solving is Stepwise

I'm the "math" type. It isn't because I like numbers all that much, nor am I fantastically good at getting mathematical concepts. I like doing math because it is logical and somewhat finite; even if I'm not positive I know how to solve the problem, if given enough time, I could exhaust all the options to come up with the right answer. The satisfying part about it is that I can KNOW with a fair amount of certainty that I have the solution, even if I started without a clue. (Ironically, I'm a Bio major, so if I haven't memorized the answer, I am pretty much out of luck).

I think this shotgun approach of logically going through and exhausting the options is pretty effective when it comes to solving problems in the real world. Granted, most of the potential solutions must be weeded out by thinking about it rather than actually applying it to the situation. However, I think this is what Novogratz did in founding Acumen Fund. She was inspired because she was already actively thinking about making a difference. From there, she took the best logical choice, and when that didn't work out, she re-evaluated the situation to come up with new best options.

I think this is the key for motivation and inspiration, which are so elusive to college students today. These things rarely come at random; there is usually a trigger, and this trigger can be self-induced. By actively immersing oneself, by force if necessary, new ideas will become visible. As ideas turn into practical and measurable results, motivation will naturally increase. This is how I deal with my procrastination tendencies, and it is also the attitude I can adopt to be successful in the future.

I want to conclude by saying that I am very happy to know that there is a philanthropic organization such as the Acumen Fund. I think often times people are reluctant to donate to charity (unless it's for show) because they don't know if their contribution will even be that effective. Solving world poverty clearly needs philanthropic motives; there is no capitalistic incentive in investing in certain impoverished areas. That is why I am impressed with the thoughtful and intelligent means through which Acumen Fund guarantees the most impact per dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment