Friday, October 23, 2009

Seth Godin, No; Acumen, Yes

Seth Godin worried me. I wanted to be sure it was him and not some random mood swing so I watched the video twice at separate times. However, each time I saw it, I couldn't help but feel. . . unsettled. Unfortunately, I can't identify exactly what part of his speech had this effect on me and why.

Perhaps I feel he is being inconsistent. He extols spreading the capitalist model as a method to help the poor after criticizing it's implementation here in America. Yes, he envisions a new application with a focus on those in poverty, but I'm a little skeptical that the same model that caused the widening division between rich and poor can so easily be modified to close the gap.

Then there is his attitude toward school. I sense Mr. Godin would make a differentiation between school and education (which I wouldn't deny him). Yet, his assertion that school is designed to perpetuate the status quo seems unwarranted. Perhaps I'm idealistic but I don't see institutionalized education as an attempt to brainwash the populous. Yes, school is supposed to prepare us for our lives in society, yet a key part of that preparation is learning how to think for oneself. If schools really have become a 12 - 18 year propaganda campaign, then why am I writing this? Your education is whatever you make it to be, no matter what school you attend.

Despite my personal feelings about Mr. Godin, I feel the Acumen Fund is accomplishing much good in the world. Their working model makes sense and is getting results. I especially like their attitude. As Mr. Godin said, they seek to change the world, not come in first place. To me, that desire for change, instead of being the best, is the organization's strongest tool for fulfilling their goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment