Thursday, September 24, 2009

food as an excuse

When I was in grade school, my parents used to make me fill out workbooks and read books while they were away at work. My days seemed endless because there were never a reasonable (or so I thought back then) number of workbook pages to complete before I could call it a day. Therefore, I always felt like I had some studying or reading to do. Except when I ate. I think it is because of those summers that I developed a view of food as a break from studying. I took advantage of the fact that my parents weren't home to monitor how much time I spent "eating."
I've noticed that I carried this mentality with me into college. Sometimes I wouldn't even be hungry but would go eat anyways, just so that I can get away from the books. My reasoning was that I had to eat dinner at some point or another, and if I'm wasting my time staring at the same 2 sentences, might as well take a break. 

This view towards food has not necessarily been the most beneficial for a college student like me. Sometimes I'd fake myself into thinking that I'm hungry; I'd create a psychological appetite into a break. I could technically just walk around or something, but I think I don't because it takes less time for a break and I feel taunted to get back to homework when its sitting there right next to me. 

Food has become a means of escape for me, a chance to refresh my mind. 

1 comment:

  1. To some, 'food as an escape' can be a negative. It shouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete