Friday, September 11, 2009

Sachs, Chapters 1 & 2

Jeffrey Sachs makes a lot of interesting points, but I feel like those points are useless unless action is taken. There are all these requirements that are neccessary if we want a successful sustainable development, but I cannot come to believe that things will change.
Everyone is so comfortable where they are, that nothing will happen, until something EXTREME happens. For example, he talks about the environment and how the population is growing and somehow we need other resources to help supplement for this growing world. The problem I feel is that, everyone knows about global warming and something bad may happen if we don't take care of it, but we still haven't done enough. People haven't cared enough to make drastic changes to their lives.
And maybe that's what the problem is, because we can talk about how we can make the world a better place and solutions to our problems, but nothing is going to happen ,unless, we the people, take action. When I was reading the first two chapters, that's how I felt the whole time. I said to myself, 'Yes, this is all great and I wish it would happen, but is it going to?' We can't just read this book and think 'He has some great ideas, I hope someone tries to do this.' We actually have to do something about it, or who are only going to blame ourselves more, because we knew of possible solutions, but did nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Is it possible that action IS being taken, but the effects are not yet visible? That's how we got into the situation over the last 200 years, isn't it? Perhaps we've planted the seeds of recovery and are now waiting for seedlings to appear.

    ReplyDelete