Wednesday, September 9, 2009

CH 1 & 2 Reaction--Or Lack Thereof

When asked what would make the world a better place, multiple answers come from an array of different thinkers.  In Sach's case he thinks that global cooperation and an idealistic set of standards will do the trick.  If I can't even persuade my brother to watch the same tv channel as me, how does Sach expect an entire world of nations to unite under one global agreement for the betterment of the world?  He suggests how many people should inhabit the earth within a certain timeline, discusses how we could stop world hunger, and addresses wealth and income in the working class.  I agree with him that his ideas would make the world a better place to live in ideally, but realistically, convincing people to agree with the same set of standards would be practically impossible.  
Partially, I think that the world, let alone our own nation, not uniting is our own fault.  In class we discussed that we only all bond together when a tragedy or catastrophe has occurred.  It reminds me of how a lot of people only start vigorously praying to God when our lives are falling apart.  I'll admit to this sad truth.  If we can't join together as Sach, says then world betterment will always be farther from our reach then it could be.  The fact is, we should learn from the past and try to build a better future as a united whole.  

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I think the phenomenon is referred to as a "foxhole conversion." In other words, we pray most fervently when the bullets are flying inches above our heads, and not so much at other times, more's the pity. So are you saying the entire exercise is one of learning how to debate and persuade? You may be right, as those are terribly under-appreciated skills.

    By the way, I had the same problem with my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persuasion is a useful tool, but the matter of getting a massive number of people to listen is an issue.

    ReplyDelete