Friday, September 11, 2009

Cooperation for Common Wealth

The first two chapters of Jeffrey Sach's Common Wealth was nothing short of a mental battle. Amidst deciphering cryptic mathematical lingo, politically biased concepts, humanistic ideals and optimistic hopes, my disbeleif of this idealist's gameplan to save the world through global cooperation warred against my desire for it to work. After all, what beauty pageant contestant doesn't answer "world peace" when granted their theoretical one wish? Who doesn't know the power of teamwork and how it enables everyone involved to accomplish more than what we could do alone? When reading Jeffrey Sach's writings I realized that avoiding a future of overpopulation, environmental issues , and increased poverty is an imsourmountable task...if attempted alone. So maybe, just maybe Jeffrey Sach's does have the right idea. Perhaps he understands that cooperation cannot be an option but THE solution if we are to ensure a stable planet for the future.
Does this cooperation necessarily mean a "fluffily" alliance of all the world powers? Hopefully not! Yet on smaller scale I beleive it means a common understanding between those involved. World leaders, firms, businesses and households alike need to be informed. Ignorance leads to destruction, but knowledge leads to creation. (In this light, I really enjoyed Sach's section on ending the poverty trap with technology). Overall, I beleive that people, businesses and the like would be more willing to cooperate with each other if they were aware of the dilemma. Perhaps this is why I appreciate Sach's Common Wealth, for if nothing else, it has made me a little less ignorant about the issues of my world.


No comments:

Post a Comment