Thursday, September 24, 2009

Bananas, the Fruit of Champions

Bananas aren't incredibly delicious. Sure, they are sweet, nutritious, and satisfying, but a banana is not that much better than the next fruit. Why then do I have the capacity to eat over two entire bundles in one sitting?

I played tennis all throughout high school. Tennis matches can literally go on for hours, and because I sweat a lot, I had to be careful not to deplete my electrolyte supply. During one particular match however, I realized too late that my supply had been exhausted, and cramped up so bad that I was immobilized for over 10 minutes. That is how I lost the regional finals - one of the most important matches of the season. Needless to say, I became obsessed with banana-eating after that, eating one before and during every match.

This act of eating had taken on more than a way to obtain sustenance. It became a ritual, and I felt very uneasy if, for some reason, I skipped out on eating my banana. Conversely, if I ate FOUR or FIVE bananas, I felt basically invincible. Even to this day, I associate the act and quantity of banana consumption with how well one will perform throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment