Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Back to School Noms

The most recent time that the mundane act of eating became spiritual experience for me was my first meal back at Andrews University. When I say that it was a spiritual experience, i don't mean that angels came down from heaven to sing the praises of Sam's Chicken while a beam of holy light shone on my plate. By spiritual, I mean that it was a meal that meant something to me besides being a tasty meal or energy to live.
My first meal back at Andrews was a spiritual experience in that it signified that the new year is really underway. It signified that being back is a real thing, not just an interlude in the academic sphere. This is so important to me because I almost didn't get to come back to Andrews this year. I had some issues with my financial aid, and was sure that I wouldn't be able to come back. There simply wasn't enough money. However, God gave me a way to get back here (granted, it was with a loan that I'll be paying for until Kingdom Come). So when I walked into the AU cafeteria for the first time this year, I nearly wept with joy. From what I've seen, there's a lot of weeping connected with the caf, but not usually with joy.
Anyway, I don't remember what I ate that night, but I do remember how good it tasted to me. It tasted like the promise of a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment