Friday, September 11, 2009

Social Media and Higher Education

Social media is defiantly a distraction to higher education. Whether it be Facebook, email, YouTube, TV, or some other form of entertainment. Attaining higher education is already challenging enough, without distractions. To attain higher education one must spend a lot of time reading and learning new material. Many of times this type of intense concentration can lead to the yearning for use of social media. As a university student myself, I often find myself thinking about what i could be doing on the Internet, or what shows I missed while studying. I can be depressing to know that for the period of time that I'm studying, i am isolated form the world. However, it can also be even more depressing when I see failing grades on my exams.
Ultimately, I think there should be a balance. It is possible to attain higher education and participate in the activities of social media. I know in my experiences, I have found that I spend a lot less time using social media when in school than when I am at home for the summer. There has to be sacrifices of social media when it comes to education. It is not to my best interest to go on Facebook, YouTube, and watch a movie all in one night. Nevertheless, I can pick and choose which of those I feel like I have more time to do after studying. I personally try to reason with myself saying, 'If I do so and so many hours of studying than I can do this on the computer.' Of course it is never going to be truly satisfying to my social media content, but it is the sacrifice I have to make to receive the higher level of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment