Friday, September 25, 2009

High School Dorm bonding

For awhile, I didn't think I had any good memories involving food to talk about. I mean, I like food but it's not something that I swoon over. However, as I was sitting in front of my computer thinking about anything at all that I could write about, I remembered all the movie nights and rice parties I experienced with the other girls on my hall during academy.

During my sophomore year, a group of four girls, myself included, would get together once a week, "do homework," get out the snacks, and watch a movie. It probably doesn't sound like anything special, but to us it held an air of adventure because movies were banned in the dorm. We were constantly listening for the R. A. to come knocking and take the computer, but it was always fun. The snacks ranged from chips and dip to goldfish, and every so often we managed to order a pizza. It was really good times, and that was probably the most fun year of high school in terms of dorm relations.

Another thing that we did a lot was have rice parties. These were far less exclusive, and sometimes the whole hall would join in. Since rice is pretty cheap and easy to come by, the rice cookers would come out and we would top the finished product with random spices and herbs. It wasn't a big meal, and rice isn't really all that tasty by itself, but that wasn't really the point. For us, the point was that we could take a break from our school work, kick back, and just have fun. Those times I spent bonding with my classmates throughout high school are ones that I would never replace, and the lack of bonding that we experience in the university dorm setting sometimes brings on my nostalgia. But that's a story for another time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, rice is healthy and half the world's population exists on it!

    ReplyDelete