Monday, September 28, 2009

Eat to live

Food for me has never been what I would term "spiritual". Events surrounding the food were always more interesting and important. Thanksgiving dinners, mothers day biscuits and gravy, Christmas with the whole family. I don't really remember what I ate as much as the surround people and events, that is what made the food taste so good. I tend to like food better when I am home and my mom makes it instead of myself, or here when my cousin cooks. I like food better when prepared by not me. I also am a person who eats my feelings, so chocolate at times is quite heavenly.
I can remember a few times when I was excited to eat certain things because they had been missed while traveling in other countries. Europeans do not understand mexican food nor is there a taco bell anywhere around, I spent a year in france and my father met me at the airport when I got back with two cold bean burritos....but they were delicious.
Also, when I was in Ecuador for a year I just wished for anything other than rice.....low and behold, my friend and I found a Chili's about 30 min away from our apartment. The first time we ate there we devoured like three bowls of tostada chips and each ate a burger and fries. We could hardly walk out of the restaurant but we were happy.
But still none of these events really sinks in as an intense experience where I really loved the food and it took on more than just food for me. I love eating if I am hungry, if I am not hungry i don't eat. I eat to live, not live to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment