Friday, September 18, 2009

I Can't Carry My Groceries.

Paper or plastic? Paper or plastic? Ever since we were tiny, we've heard that question asked every time we go to the grocery store. Mostly, our parents, for convenience's sake, asked for plastic. As we grew older, we questioned the wisdom of our parents' choice, because we heard, whether in school or on TV, that plastic bags never broke down and would fill up landfills for ETERNITY. Now, as I'm looking over my classmates' own educated answer to the question, "paper or plastic?" I find myself coming to the startled and somewhat confused conclusion that neither plastic nor paper bags are actually very environmentally friendly.

According to www.bankrate.com (who asked environmentalists, scientists, and bag makers), paper bags, contrary to popular belief, are no better than plastic bags. They take up more space in landfills and take more energy to make in the first place. Also, paper bag plants spew harmful chemicals into the air during the manufacturing process.

On the other hand, plastic isn't biodegradable at all, and is also made using harmful chemicals and pollutive processes.

What to do, then? I have heard two workable solutions, both put forward by environmentalists and economists. The first is to reuse the bags that we already have. This seems like a workable solution, but only in the short run, because paper and plastic bags simply aren't that sturdy. They'll fall apart after just a few uses. The other option is, of course, cloth bags. These are sold everywhere now, from Walmart to the campus bookstore. They are sturdy, handy, more environmentally sound than paper or plastic in the long run (according to many), and are often hideously expensive. In the long run, they might seem cheaper-not to mention better for the environment-but what college student has money to pour into reusable grocery bags?

The answer to the question "paper or plastic?" isn't an easy one. Personally, I'll probably keep on using plastic when I'm at home, because I reuse the bags for other things, specifically cat litter. However, if I'm at school (where there are no cats), I would much rather use a reusable cloth bag or two, or, even better, just stuff my purchases into my backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment