Thursday, September 10, 2009

Response to Sachs Ch.1-2

I hate to admit in the presence of peers and faculty and whoever else might be listening now that these chapters were boring. Yet, I found myself drawn deeper into the material anxiously waiting to see what Jeffrey Sachs might say next. I consider that a success for an economics book.
It was very strange for me to realize that my family has been saying around the dinner table alot of what Jeffrey Sachs is saying in these two chapters and that makes me feel slightly smug because I had never felt that I had a good handle on politics or globalization issues. You can imagine my excitement as I read his chapters and said, "hey! I know what he's talking about!" But that aside, I'm not entirely convinced his way is the best way. It seems to me that he is absolutly right that none of these goals can be achieved without global cooperation, but I feel intrinsicaly that if we 'worked really hard' on global cooperation, we would not succeed and would hardly begin work on ending poverty, or stabalizing ecosystems. I think we need courageous, tireless workers who are not afraid of world leaders, are not concerned about their reputation, but take effective steps to further the goals outlined in Sachs book. Then, global cooperation will arise as a byproduct.
Here is what my cynic says: this will never happen and we will be dealing with these problems until Jesus comes.
My optimist says: God asked us to try.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, sometimes the "dismal science" as economics is frequently called can be made less dismal in the hands of an engaging writer.

    You raise a good point: people usually don't cooperate just because they're told they should. Instead, they cooperate because there's something in it for THEM and in the presence of strong, passionate leaders.

    ReplyDelete