Friday, September 18, 2009

Tea Party!

I like a good cup of tea with some honey and a bit of lemon and vanilla. I can enjoy it in warm or cool weather, no matter where I am. But the next best part about a hot drink is the mug it is in. Not only do I like a good cup of tea, but I like a good mug as well. When Mr. Davis asked us to consider what kind of a carbon footprint we leave behind when we drink out of a styrofoam cup or a mug, I was pretty sure I could guess the answer. That was until he ended his statement with, "You might be surprised." Then I thought, "Oh no..."

It turns out that my hunch was correct: mugs are more environmentally friendly, but only under certain circumstances. If I simply buy mugs to admire the creative quality that went into their production and drink out of a styrofoam cup, I would be doing less harm to the environment by leaving those decorations for the people who will use them for a drink. One source stated that a mug is the most environmentally friendly option if it is used at least 46 times. Mugs have a way of collecting themselves so I am certain that I have some mugs that have not been used 46 times, but when winter rolls around, there is no reason not to host a tea party from my apartment on a regular basis. However, there we have a new problem. The honey I buy comes in a plastic bottle.

Fascinating how a plastic cup is easier to transport and better on the environment than styrofoam. Although some plastic cannot be recycled, it can be reused. And that paper cup that produces the most carbon emissions can at least contribute to a vegetable garden's compost pile in most cases. Inspite of the carbon emissions, it can help the environment. Nonetheless, I'll stick with the mug.

1 comment: