Friday, September 11, 2009

Reaction to chapters 1 and 2 of Common Wealth by Jeffrey Sachs

After reading Chapter 1 and 2 of Common Wealth and listening to an interview with Sachs on NPR, I've learned quite a few new things.
I suppose I'm the kind of person who is very passionate about God's creation - whether animals, people, or the environment, and not about math or money or science, but this book has really forced me to see the interconnectivity of the two areas. I can appreciate the fact that Sachs is well versed in the environment, poverty, and economics because all of these things are big issues in our country, as well as the world, and he can help us realize that we must use this knowledge when dealing with any of these problems.
Though his theories and math were over my head sometimes I was still able to recognize how very dire the situation is and therefore how much needs to be done. At times I was actually depressed while reading because it seems as if nothing can really be done to fix this huge problem, specifically with the way things are going. I do think that the government has to get really involved in order to make the change that is necessary because, though individual commitment to change is important and useful, a few conscious citizens trying to help the poor, or recycling everything they can, does not make a difference that's going to actually eradicate the problem. These actions might slow down the process, but it still doesn't do much.
I noticed that Sachs was very firm about the statements he made, not necessarily coming across as terribly open to any disagreements, but most of what he is saying needs to be said, even if it does sound biased. This needs to become common knowledge so change can be effected.

No comments:

Post a Comment