Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Is Paying Taxes Enough?

First of all, I will try not to get heated about taxes and the non-working class.  Taxes are helping our country maintain some sort of balance, and it is helpful to those who need it.  But why do they need it?  I hate to think that my money and my families' money is going towards someone who was too lazy to go to college or do anything with their life.  On the other hand there are circumstances where families or individuals are working and trying to make a good life, but they simply need help.  I am glad to think that our taxes are helping these people.  I know I am lucky and have security in my life, but even if I didn't I would be doing everything i could to try and give myself an education or a job.  Sometimes we can not help the people that do not want to get a job or try school.  

For me taxes are sufficient but I also think that a little extra could be done individually to change other's lives or at least brighten their day.  People need to be educated about living and economic matters for them to know how to stay stable.  Educating them would be the best way to stop the homeless from being homeless.  This to me is true direct service towards the less fortunate.  

Rather than donate money to charities and send checks to random organizations, why not work in a soup kitchen?  Perhaps chat with the homeless and give them the meal yourself instead of just offering money.  Sit down with them.  Eat.  Enjoy their company, they probably will appreciate yours.  Adopt a child.  These are things that mean something in life.  Human interaction can change someone, not just money.  Show them how to save that money, work with that money, and make good decisions with that money.  And even if you do not change a large portion of their life at least maybe you can bring a smile to their face.  

No comments:

Post a Comment