Friday, September 11, 2009

Common Wealth Chapters 1 and 2

Admittedly, before writing this blog I was peering at the other blogs written on this topic and was slightly disappointed at some of the things I read. Much of what I read had rather pessimistic undertones to the content and ideals that this book presented. I do, however, respect those opinions, but I have to disagree with many of the philosophies presented by some of my peers.
I found Sach's book to be very optimistic and while not light-hearted in the least, it proved to be an interesting read for me. I love the ideal of sustainability and I hope that it won't always remain a distant thought, seemingly unattainable. Let's face it: the world is floundering and its apparent everywhere we see; we're far from ideal. There are issues that must be addressed, from ecological, humanitarian, and economic standpoints. If we continue to ignore the warnings, we will soon reap very serious and harsh repercussions.
I understand that developing eco-friendly technology and bridging the endless economic gaps may seem impossible, but I don't think its an impossible undertaking. Optimism is what will shape the future into a better place for future generations.
Perhaps I sound a little naive. I understand that people tend to be selfish and ignorant, but there have to be progressive measures taken to ensure the planet we leave behind is a decent place for our children.

1 comment:

  1. It was once thought impossible to exhaust the plant's resources too, yet we did. Now we think recovery is impossible...maybe it's a human nature thing.

    ReplyDelete