Thursday, September 17, 2009

Reusable has some bad side effects?

As I was researching, I found a lot of information similar to that of my classmates about Paper, Plastic, or Reusable bags. And than I was pleasantly surprised to find an article about how reusable bags contain bacteria that can cause food poisoning. I didn't think anyone would oppose the reusable bag, but I have found it. I don't think the authors of the article would say stop using the reusable bag, because obviously the environmental benefits of it outweigh paper and plastic by a thousand times. But maybe the next time you use your reusable bag, you'll be more careful.

The article talked about how ( for those of us who eat meat ) uncooked meat can leave juices behind in the bag and if it stays there and you put more meat in there, the next time around your food can become contaminated and cause food poisoning. It also warned against putting diapers or work out clothes in your bag, because it could leave behind some unwanted bacteria. The obvious way to prevent this is to wash your bag, after each use. Using these bags it a whole lot better than resorting back to paper and plastic.

In my findings, I found out how bad plastic actually is. It is here FOREVER! It will never go away, and with the rates at which we manufacture plastic bags, it could take over the world. The article said that they aren't biodegradable and they just break down into smaller and smaller particles, waiting to be eaten by unsuspecting animals. I will admit that I've tried to switch over to reusable bags, over plastic, but sometimes you just forget your bag, and the plastic one is just screaming 'Take me home!'But we should try as much as possible to avoid plastor or plastic bags. If you do have a reusable bag, I would suggest leaving it in your car. So in case you ever have a emergency grocery run, you don't have to worry about running back to your room to get your back, because its already there.

Here are the two websites I found my information from:
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/theappetizer/archive/2009/05/20/back-to-plastic-reusable-grocery-bags-may-pose-public-health-risk.aspx

and

http://environment.about.com/od/recycling/a/reusablebags.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment