Friday, September 25, 2009

The Most Wonderful time of the Year

It's almost the most wonderful time of the year... and I'm not referring to Christmas.

Food is probably the one of the best things that God has given us. And within this gift holds the power to bind family and friends. One of the sayings that I heard growing up is "a way to a man's heart is through his stomach." Therefore I was taught as a woman, to learn how to cook and the power of food over a man. Dinner was a time when my family would spend time together eating, talking and growing closer as a family. I think that pleasuring your taste buds and satisfying your hunger puts a person in a such a pleasant mood that all tension or strife is forgotten. I believe that food has the power to bring that spiritual aspect. I define spiritual as the intimacy and love between humans, found in many different relationships formed through out one's life.

But the meal that trumps all other meals is Thanksgiving. During Thanksgiving my dad's family gathers at one of their homes. They bring along their children and spouses and most importantly, the food. The aroma of the food fills the air as hugs and love are exchanged. We sit down at the table, the man of the house prays a blessing over the meal and the family. Then, we eat. As we eat, we laugh and joke and talk. After the food, we clear off the table and the adults sit around and talk politics, the cousins go down stairs and talk and watch movies. This is undoubtedly the most wonderful time of the year. It is a time of love, fellowship, family and food.

1 comment: