Friday, September 11, 2009

Common Wealth chapters 1 and 2

After reading the first two chapters of Sachs' book, I think that his ideas and the things he proposed are very interesting, I agree with most of his points. He did a very good job addresing the problems that affect us and giving solutions to them.
The only problem that I found by reading the chapters is that his ideas sound very nice but I think they are not practical. For example, he says on page 30, "Convergence, in this view, requires that incomes fall at the top and rise at the bottom" I personally think that people in developed countries will never sacrifice/give money to save the poorest. Also he mentions that to get countries out of the poverty trap, richer countries will need to give then technology because they cant afford them, this for example sounds very nice, but I dont think that is likely to happen, richer countries, I think, will not spend their money in trying to save poor countries. Also when he talked about the environmental problem, I liked a lot his ideas about developing newer technologies that dont harm the environment, which sounds nice but again it will take a lot of time to convince people to start using this new technologies and also some of them are expensive and people, with this economy, are not willing to pay more.
But in general I really liked the first 2 chapters, even though I dont think his ideas are practical, I really like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment