Wednesday, September 16, 2009

For Better or Worse

After doing a little research on which is better for the environment Styrofoam cups or ceramic cups, I wasn't too surprised by what I learned. Generation Exe states, "as for comparing disposable cups vs. reusable cups, you would ideally think that reusable cups or mugs would be more environmentally friendly, but it is based on how many times the cup gets used." So it is only better to use ceramic cups if they get used often or, according to this site, at least 46 times.

I'm not completely sure how I feel about the results. I try not to be a wasteful person (I'm not always successful), but I prefer using a ceramic cup because I can keep on using it time and time again. The thought of only using something once and then discarding it annoys me which I guess means that I'm doing well by constantly using something like a ceramic cup. However for any short term use I'm all for using paper, plastic or Styrofoam cups. I believe my reasons for this are that sometimes I'm too lazy to want to have to do dishes (there's probably a lot of people eating) and the disposable option is very convenient.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would prefer to leave a small carbon footprint on the planet by either using the best long-term or short-term option. Nothing in this world lasts forever (except Styrofoam and roaches)so it is better that we do everything we can to do what is best for the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment