Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sachs, "Common Wealth" Chs. 1-2

It took me a couple of pages to get into the flow of Sachs's language but so far I'm really interested in what he's got to say. Personally, I was never deeply committed in taking action to improve any of the areas of sustainable development, either environmentally or economically. Like a lot of people, I think I'm immune to all of these global problems so that although I'm aware of them I'm don't put much time or effort into helping the cause because they're not affecting me directly and I don't experience the effects of it as other people do elsewhere in the world. It was just one of those things I occasionally thought about if I had the time or if it had a featured portion in a magazine or on the news.

Sachs does a really good job of presenting the problems of overpopulation, environmental degradation and poverty as one. They don't stand alone as their own separate and distinct issue but are interconnected with each issue affecting the other, and all are factors that determine economic sustainability. I wasn't even aware how population contributed to the stability of our economy until I read the book. It definitely prompts me to care more about the world I live in and see the reality of its condition. At one point in the book, Sachs mentions how giving up a small part of our time and resources can go a long way in improving life for the present and future generations. Sachs says that during the last fifty years "the average aid recipient received the grand sum of $15 each year" (48), which really isn't that much but has already led to better literacy rates, medical advancements, and reduced poverty. If we each contributed just a little bit more it'd have such a huge impact on those who received our aid. I agree with Sachs that giving aid to others is not a waste of time at all.

I think this is a good thing but I felt a sense of urgency when I read the first two chapters. The world is deteriorating rapidly and the earth cannot keep up with our demands and way of life for much longer. Someone in class mentioned if caring about the earth really mattered since Jesus is coming anyway. If anything else, I think we should care at least for the sake of prolonging the time between now and until Jesus comes so that as much people as possible can be saved. ~

No comments:

Post a Comment