Friday, November 6, 2009

What Impact Do Rituals Have?

A ritual is a specific act performed habitually, either done consciously or subconsciously. They are actions repeated regularly that are special to the person for some reason or another. Rituals have a positive role in behavior because it often brings a sense of certainty or regularity to the jumble and raucous-filled lives people lead. Personally, I’ve felt rituals have kept me grounded through difficult times and gave me a sense of assurance when my life got really busy and jammed with many responsibilities.

One of the rituals I have is just to put everything aside and read a book or some type of story for an hour (sometimes even longer) at least once a day. It’s not what book I’m reading that is important, it’s more of the act of reading in which I find comfort. Immersing myself in the story, I often forget all the stress of responsibilities and deadlines that I have. My little ritual of reading became my escape time.

Another ritual I remember having during my elementary and middle school years was listening to the Heritage Singers songs on Saturday afternoons and my Saturday afternoon naps. Those traditions/rituals were a constant throughout those years and I always equate those rituals to my Sabbath afternoon experiences. Those rituals also facilitated a sense of togetherness between my family and myself. Each one of us are extremely busy with our own activities and responsibilities (be it work, school, or extracurricular activities), we don’t spend much time together. But, those Saturday lunches and afternoons were always times we’d spend together as a family. So while it may be sad that we didn’t spend as much time together as the “ideal American Family”, those Sabbath rituals became very special to me.

So, while not all rituals are just due to habit like showering, putting on deodorant, brushing your teeth, there are some rituals that hold special meanings for each individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment