Friday, November 6, 2009

Traditions and Rituals

Admittedly, I would have to say that when it comes to traditions that my family hasn't been extremely keen at keeping them. I see the iconic family on television, with their communal rituals that are almost nauseating and well, that's just not my family I guess. But with that in mind, that almost seems to minimize my family's awesome-ness, which is a quality that we Chackos possess in excess.
One of the things that I love most about growing up in my family is the sense of community that my family has instilled in me. From my parents, being the extremely social creatures they are, I have grown to appreciate and relish being in a community. My family is the family that has fifty church members to our house almost all the time for Sabbath lunch. Though this may not be truly a ritual practice in the sense that it didn't happen with static and fixed regularity, it has contributed many powerful and very wonderful memories in my life. In a world of what I believe is becoming increasingly exclusive, I think that the many Sabbath afternoons spent with great friends helped me to love community and to reap all the benefits that it brings. Community brings a sense of belonging, love, and unification, things that many people lack in their lives in this current age.
I love the many relationships forged and renewed through this practice that my parents believe is extremely important. My parents in their generosity and their love for others have shown my a glimpse of what I desperately hope Heaven to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment