Friday, November 6, 2009

Give

As you watch the news, talk shows and real life TV, you begin to realize that this world is becoming more and more selfish. People are doing whatever they can to get more for themselves. Married couples have "open" relationships and sleep with whomever they please just because they feel like it. All around, people are focusing on themselves, a woman told her son to hide in the attic so she could get publicity by pretending that he was in a hot air balloon. It seems as if people only focus on themselves.
I would try to create a tradition within my family that focuses on others and not on ourselves. In high school there was a girl in my class who lived in the same area as me. One day as we were waiting for the train, she told me that her family is really poor and couldn't afford the basic necessities. When I went home I told my mom about my friend. My mother decided that we would help them out, so one day my mom, my dad and myself went grocery shopping and bought them a lot of groceries and brought to their house. We did this once a month, and it really changed the way I viewed giving. The family was so appreciative and happy.
I would like to start a tradition like this with my family. Maybe every month we could help provide for a family. This teaches lessons that life is not all about pleasing the self. It would start a tradition of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment