Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Power of Rituals

Some people knock on wood as a sign of superstition, cross their fingers when masking a lie, and most brush their teeth right before bed (hopefully). All of these actions are part of a ritual or habit that has been bonded to our human subconscious. Rituals are implanted into our heads, and some habits are created by money-hungry corporations. However, there are rituals that are more meaningful and actually can promote an environment that overcomes most of the social cues that are incorporated into our minds.
A ritual in my life that definitely influences my subconscious is fasting. Every January some friends of mine and I endure a media fast and focus on prayer and our relationship with God. We call it "Jesus January". No movies, swearing, TV, music, books, or internet. With all of these time consuming activities gone, we wondered what we would spend our time doing. My grades go up significantly during that month. I spend more time interacting with my friends. I spend less money that month. Also I strengthen my relationship with Christ. I find myself not even mentally cursing at a silly driver. The power of this type of ritual is that you can for once close out the world and have time to think. The influence of others is less effective on my decisions and I spend time finding out who I am. It is sort of like a New Year's resolution because I practically get to reinvent myself every new year. It's just you, God, and your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment