Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Long Blog Op. 1 No. 1 "Traditions"

In a world that seems to crave spontaneity or constant activity, I find myself cherishing certain traditions especially ones that cause me to slow down and appreciate life. I guess that is why I have struggled so much this semester. I am too busy trying to get good grades that I haven't taken enough time for myself to stop and smell the roses. I normally read a novel to relax and escape from life's cares, and this semester I had so many books to read for every class that I refused to read so that my eyes could rest and to prevent me from analyzing something I do for fun. Furthermore, I could hear my mom's voice in my head whenever I wanted to read for fun saying, "you should be reading your school books," (no one can haunt you like a ghost and, at the same time, guilt trip you from a distance like Mom). However, I knew I had to relax or else I would have a nervous break down, and since I forbade myself from reading I had to seek new means of fun. Enter Cartoons. I now found myself watching a 20 minute cartoon on the Internet while hurried eating lunch so I could run to my next class. It did the trick. I would laugh a lot and in turn be chill enough to face my classes. While I appreciated this new method, I missed my old tactic of reading while eating. Books don't have commercials, or make you wait while they buffer cause everyone on campus is using the Internet. But desperate times call for desperate measures and I found myself being saved by a cartoon called Chowder a crazy, twisted show of this rabbit, bear, dog boy who wishes to become a master chef, but whose very short attention span causes a lot of trouble for his teacher...it may sound stupid and it is, but it's HILARIOUS!!!

In this age of great technological advancement, I believe we'll see a lot of traditions die away, and not all of them will be replaced. I would like to take the time to talk about one in particular that we may not think of as a tradition, but in some societies it is. Let's talk about the act of greeting one another as we walk to class, to the store, our cars, or simply walk for the sake of walking (does anyone do that any more). The blessing of the I-pod and other MP3 devices has led to the slow and painful death of everyday hellos, goodbyes, and "how are you." Of course, we now see the rise of "I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M LISTENING TO MUSIC!!" Um...that is not my doggone problem, but the problem is I too can hear your music. (Oohh, how I will laugh when my generation find themselves completely deaf at the age of 35. Beethoven...tragic; you...stupid.) In many cultures it is extremely rude for you to not say hello back to people when they greet you, but only in the US can it be socially acceptable to ignore someone on the pathetic excuse of I was listening to music. As a musician, I could understand if you didn't hear me cause you were engrossed with a song that was in your head, but I reject all MP3-induced deafness excuses. We need to take time to say hello to each other, ask how you are doing and mean it, and notice what is happening in the world around us. If we do this we might save someone's life or our own. As I lamented my thoughts on MP3 players, I said to my best friend I'm surprised no one's died in an accident that could have been prevented had they not been listening to their music so loudly. Then he informed me that two students at his Alma mater, he graduated from UofI, died when they stepped out onto the street and got hit by a bus. That's tragic, but my heart went out to the bus drivers and not the students. I won't discuss the proper way to cross the street, but I'll mention that they died cause they didn't/couldn't hear the bus...

So on to businesses that feed off of what we deem important. I won't be completely against what they do. They need to make a living and feed their families and this their way of doing it. Therefore, go ahead and use the Fourth of July, Thanksgiving, Valentine's day and Halloween to make yo' paper. People like fireworks so sell them; they want to pass out from eating, give them turkey; desire to feel loved, hand over the chocolate; and must pay for their dentist's new Benz, let it rain candy corn. For many people turkey, chocolate and fireworks are what define the holiday, and that is why I am not bothered by any attempts to make a profit off those four holidays. However, I draw the line at the more religious holidays. Ok, so these holidays have pagan overtones if we really pay attention to them, but we celebrate them because they are times where we ought to reflect on Jesus. Now, I am somewhat torn about the Christmas season because for most people it's about the presents and nothing but the presents. For that reason, I say let the sales commence and the people buy. Nevertheless its intent was to worship the birth of Jesus. This is where I have no respect for companies who distort the gift that was Jesus as a baby into give me what I want and I want it now, and place importance on having the latest or newest whatever. (Maybe this is the time where we should be listening to our MP3 on their loudest setting) On the other hand, I know where I stand when it comes to Easter. It is about the death of Christ and His resurrection that we celebrate because we are no longer controlled and bound by our sins. I will admit I do look forward to the tropical Starburst jelly beans that come out only during this time, but that is it. My focus is Christ and not the stupid Easter bunny that doesn't exist or do anything but encourage diabetes and cavities. There ought to be some place where people won't bring anything ungodly and profit, in other words, religion ought to be sacred. Whether or not you believe in God or any higher power, some things should not be capitalized on and I believe religion is that thing. Go ahead!! Empty my pockets on Turkey Day, but leave me alone when I reflect on my Lord and Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment