Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas and Capitalism: Materialism vs. Idealism?

This is a long blog 2:2.
I read an interesting article today about how religion is ruining Christmas. Leanord Peikoff in Christmas Should be More Capitalistic is frustrated with the constant flood of virtous messages that bombard us from every direction (and perhaps most especially from the advertising world).
"Christmas in America is an exuberant display of human ingenuity, capitalist productivity, and the enjoyment of life. Yet all of these are castigated as "materialistic"; the real meaning of the holiday, we are told, is assorted Nativity tales and altruist injunctions (e.g., love thy neighbor) that no one takes seriously"
Though I don't agree with Peikoff's cynical attitude, I do agree that Christians have "stolen" Christmas and made it into one enormous guilt-ridden charity drive.
I hate that Christmas decorations are up November 1. I hate that Christmas music starts before Thanksgiving ends. I hate that advertisers play on everything good, wholesome, and heartwarming about Christmas and turn it into a capitalistic frenzy. I hate that I have to remember Christ's birth for a whole month, and I hate that I have to love the whole entire world until December 26. I hate it that everyone says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." I hate that people get offended that everyone says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas." I hate it that people assume that I'm some kind of Scrooge because I refuse to give to Tiny Tim and all his brothers just because "it's Christmas!" When did how and when I give become any of their buisness?
My sentiments are beginning to echo Peikoff's. What's wrong with buying big expensive gifts, tickets to the Nutcracker, and enough decorations to keep a small Chinese factory busy? Why can't Christians enjoy these things too? Why does virtue and hedonism have to be mutually exclusive?
"In fact, Christmas as we celebrate it today is a 19th-century American invention. The freedom and prosperity of post-Civil War America created the happiest nation in history. The result was the desire to celebrate, to revel in the goods and pleasures of life on earth. Christmas (which was not a federal holiday until 1870) became the leading American outlet for this feeling."
I don't think God would be angry if we abandoned our guilt and began to "celebrate, to revel in the goods and pleasures of life on earth." Even Jesus went to a party. And he was a very good guest--not a mopy, virtue-hounding, "let's remember the real reason we're here today" one.
Because, after all, the reason for the season is to celebrate. What you choose to celebrate is up to you. I choose to celebrate in my family, no school, snow-and-lights, sugary-fatty foods, and presents!
It is both blessed to give and to recieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment