Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The best gift you can give is your Time

When thinking about whether I would prefer to donate money to a cause or actually go down there and do something about it, I choose the latter. Like many other people, I will say that if I give my money I have no idea if it is actually being used like it should or getting to those in need in the first place. Also, money is too impersonal for me and anyone can give a dollar or 25 cents. I believe that if you care then you will physically do work.

I guess my feelings also stem from having done missionary work. Even though I only taught English and did not do anything cool like build houses, schools or churches, I believe I did more by actually leaving the comfort of my home than if I had sent 10 or 20 dollars to the cause. I think of it along the lines that some people should view raising children. Sure you can give money to keep them happy, but what they really craved is the physical presence of the parent to know they are loved and that their needs are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment