Wednesday, November 10, 2010

For Sale: A Dictatorship

The ideal community that I created was invented under the notion that I would have control of the entire world and that the whole world would do as I said. That being said, if this were truly the case, I would not have to sell my community at all--I could simply force it on people in a militaristic manner. However, as it comes to how I would have "taken over the world", the only way of creating a tribe of people who agree with me is, essentially, to lie. Having done that and gained control, it would be easy enough to implement my true plans and learn to live with the hate mail, death threats, and constant grumbling. I can only think of a few people who would voluntarily give up their freedoms for the welfare of the planet and the human race if my community were presented to them as it truly is. In order to "sell' it at all, only the positive points must be mentioned. First, there is a freedom to choose occupation and a standard salary for any occupation. Housing and public sanitation are provided, and all of life's conveniences are within easy walking/bicycling distance.There is a very strong social network, no tolerance for crime, and benefits for supporting/aiding the city including a better form of social security. We will work to eliminate the overpopulation problem by providing adequate birth control, and most of the hassles of our current society would be done away with.  If you do not care to live in big cities, you may choose to live outside of the city and help care for the city's food supply and be granted special benefits for your contributions. I am sure that many vegans would appreciate the fact that I would close down meat companies (butcheries, farms, production lots, processing plants, etc), but I am positive that many meat eaters would want to put me on the grill. 

Using these notions as an appeal to any human's desire for paradise, it might be simple enough to gain a tribe. However, as soon as freedoms began disappearing, or the government began poking its nose in places many people feel it doesn't belong, it would be nearly impossible to keep the tribe I had gained. It is very similar to the current story of President Obama. All of the world hailed him as a savior, but once the changes began being made, people stopped caring for him altogether and are now looking forward to the 2012 elections.

In short, it is hard to be honest about one's intentions and keep a "tribe"--especially with an ever increasingly fickle market of followers to choose from.

No comments:

Post a Comment