Friday, November 12, 2010

Attracting People to My Community

I would first like to remind people what my community entails. It is a place where people have to live on enough land to provide food for themselves in the event of an economic crisis rendering it impossible for them to purchase goods of nutritional sustenance. This society also seeks to find renewable sources for energy. In the short-term, the residents would use fossil fuels but would then transition to power made available through other resources as they become available (assuming that these individuals have not yet made the change in energy source themselves). I would also encourage those living in this settlement to have efficient heating systems given that our settlement occupies the latitudes of New England (i.e. modern and efficient wood stoves that could provide heat to emanate throughout the house). The community is part of an already-established municipality with a government that utilizes town hall meetings and offers opportunities for civic engagement. My community is also Christian in nature. Thus, it is a place where people resolve their disputes with their neighbors using the principles found in Matthew 18.


How would I attract people to this settlement? I would begin by purchasing a large plot of land, informing the municipality of my intention to convert it into a residential area governed by the principles that I outlined. The first people I would seek to attract would be my family and friends; they know who I am, share similar principles, and might actually desire to live in this sort of community. I would then seek to find others who are ecologically-friendly and Christian who would be attracted to this way of life. To do this, I would advertise that the community has the potential for being self-sustaining in agricultural production and that it is actively seeking alternative energy sources. I also think it would be prudent to invite the members of the town to our community to have a meet-and-greet. Perhaps I can promote my community on this occasion. One thing people will be looking at is the attractiveness of the homes that are in the settlement. I would want the architectural designs to be somewhat uniform to denote the fact that these are private residences that are somehow linked together.

Another question I must address is the possibility that my ideas may not work in practice. What would happen if nobody desired to be a part of my community? I would have to sell the purchased land and try another idea. I cannot account for all possible problems that may arise. However, as in the case of Thomas Edison inventing the lightbulb, success is not always achieved right away. It takes work. When we speak of these utopian communities, we must remember that change in society can be seen as the cumulative actions of individuals.

I am convinced that the growth of my settlement will depend on shared values and a town's willingness to have the existence of this enclave in their territory of land. I believe that if social mingling is encouraged, good relations between my community and the municipality of its location would be possible.

Written by Bradley Sica

No comments:

Post a Comment