Friday, October 29, 2010

iSucceed

Why is it that as one gets older, the definition of success changes? As a child, success can be defined as eating all the vegetables of of your plate. As one gets older, success begins to mean different things, until one becomes an adult, and society's view of success takes over. For the most part, society considers success to be synonymous with wealth. If one has the most money, and the most possessions, then that person is successful. How many times have you ever walked by a trailer park and said to yourself, "The people living in those trailers must be very successful." Now, is there anything wrong with living in a trailer? Of course not. In fact, most people living in trailer parks are probably content with their life and not struggling in any fashion whatsoever; however, society would assume that if you are successful, you shouldn't be living in a trailer park. For some reason, the postmodern world has broken away from its normally subjective stance and developed and objective view of the idea of success. I am surprised that at this point in our society, we have not developed an app for measuring how successful of a life we lead. All you would have to do is enter your annual income, and iSucceed would tell who how successful you are on the success scale.

While I am very opposed to the idea of success as defined by society, it is interesting how drawn I am to meeting that definition. As much as I hate to admit, I want to be successful in society's eyes. Now, of course that is just a result of human nature, but nonetheless, my feelings remain. It is a trap that everyone falls into at some point in time. People wish to be accepted in others eyes, and they believe that the way to obtain acceptance is through wealth and possessions. I believe this mentality needs to change, unfortunately it never will. I challenge someone to give me a solution to this problem. It is IMPOSSIBLE to change the mentality of an entire world. It is sad, but true. Even if a solution could be found, it would never catch on.

Its ridiculous to measure success primarily off of wealth and possessions. Success is something that varies from person to person. Success for me is living a life in which I am satisfied with what I surround myself with. If I am happy with my job, I have a family which I love, few financial struggles, I can say I am successful. Wealth has very little to do with how successful I become. Of course, it is impossible to eliminate wealth from the equation, but it certainly should not have as strong of a weight. In the end, success is about satisfaction. If one is satisfied with where they are at in their life, in respect to where they have come, then that person can is a success in my book.

1 comment:

  1. I like that "Measure My Success" app! You may have the idea there that'll launch your career as an entrepreneur! Will riches follow? Who knows but I'll bet satisfaction will.

    ReplyDelete