Friday, October 29, 2010

I Wanna Be A Billionaire So Frickin' Bad...

I guess its a part of human nature to always want to improve your life. However, in the 21st century, it's no longer good enough to have a roof over your head and food on your table. If you want to be successful, your roof ought to have 5 extra rooms under it- one for the television, one for the children, one for your office, one for your pool table, and one just because you want an extra room- and your table must be furnished with Tiffany's newest set. Every aspect of our lives have become centered around making money.   When you turn on the television, you see that the Desperate House Wives of Laguna Beach have moved to Jersey Shore in hopes of joining the Bad Girls Club because they Want To Be Millionaires. Every show is a get rich quick scheme. Even on the wholesome channel of Food Network you no longer have to go through years of training to become a culinary artist. Now, you just have to be able to create the best meal out of the worst ingredients under the toughest time constraints.
I remember a discussion a group of my high school classmates and I were having right before we graduated. We were discussing how corrupt business had become. What disappointed me the most was that many of them acknowledged that the business men's actions were corrupt, but they believed that their motive was justified by the means. One girl argued that she can not be happy in life helping those less fortunate than her if it prevented her from augmenting her bank account. For me, as long as I have my basic needs, I'm fine. Of course if I get the chance to get something extra I will; however, I would not throw someone under the bus so that I could stand on top.
Even in terms of education, its all about money. The more you pay for your education, the more money you'll make. When I was telling my teachers about my decision to go to Andrews University, many of them were disappointed. Many of them thought that I should accept Brown University's offer, despite the $120,000 debt I would be in after graduation, because my high paying job would pay off my loans in a few years.
Living in this mindset of needing more money and letting the world know that you have money, tears communities apart. For instance, on the show Gossip Girl, Blair is willing to compromise her friendship with her best friend in order to remain the Queen-B in the group. These affects can also be seen in the news. Bernie Madoff stole millions of dollars from people to improve his lavished life style. In turn, this caused some people to commit suicide because they felt their life had reached its lowest point because they no longer had money. Even in the recent oil spill, the underhanded actions of BP led to faulty oil mines being built and millions of gallons of oil to disrupt the homes of natures finest.
No one ever wants to feel as if he or she is not good enough. So when a society builds its values on how much money you have, people move their focus from the community to self. Everyone ends up singing "I wanna be a billionaire, so frickin bad..." and doing all they can to fulfill that dream.

1 comment:

  1. Funny that anybody wanting it that bad probably won't make it. All the billionaire stories I'm aware of begin with someone doing something they love. Riches were an incidental outcome.

    ReplyDelete