Thursday, August 27, 2009

Social Media in Education and the Classroom

It wasn't until I reached college that i began seeing social media used as a frequent classroom tool. I think that social media sites can be quite helpful in facilitating discussion and keeping the class connected and engaged in topics - a sort of platform to bounce thoughts and ideas off each other. However, I have noticed that social media tools can often become confusing to students - especially those who may not be particularly computer savvy.

I think a good way to get whole classes involved in using social media tools would be by projecting the websites on a screen and walking through students the process of setting up accounts, and the basic features of what each site is meant to be used for. I believe that one of the main problems students face regarding social media sites, is confusion and general lack of understanding of how they work. I also think it's important that each student as a clear idea of what they're supposed to post and where and when.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! I admit that I overestimated the class's general level of tech savvy, an oversight on my part.

    ReplyDelete