Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tech-ucation

As an English major, I am understandably attached to hard copies of literature. There is something about reading on a computer screen that inhibits comprehension. Therefore, I wholeheartedly support keeping actual texts in a classroom and beyond. But for discussion and interaction within the class setting, there is no greater tool than the internet.

Posting something online gives a certain anonymity to discussing a topic, even if a name and picture accompanies that post. I am more inclined to voice my true opinion from the comfort of my dorm room than in front of my peers, even though the message is still reaching the same people. Also, a written discussion gives people time to think about what they are saying before their...my...mouth runs away from them.

And maybe we'll save a few trees in the meantime.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting viewpoint - that social media (a) gives voice to opinions that would otherwise be left silent, and (b) while causing those opinions to be more thoughtful than if just blurted out.

    By the way, I too appreciate the feeling of book in hand as opposed to reading from a screen.

    ReplyDelete