Thursday, August 27, 2009

New-fangled Technology and Education

When I remember starting school, which seems like a long time ago but wasn't, research was done in libraries. If someone wanted to find out what other people thought about something, they would ask. Sometimes they would even call people on the phone! I still remember writing a report in second grade. My sources were books and magazines I found in the classroom. Then, lo and behold, the internet came into being. Suddenly, I could talk to all of my friends at once, even if they were in different states. I could look up information on a topic without leaving my house, let alone figuring out the catalog computers at the library. (I have no idea how people found books there before computers) Then, as if this repository of information wasn't enough, social networking tools were invented. Suddenly, everyone could know what one person was thinking or doing. People could make lists of things to share with other people. People could rant and rave and actually be accessibly published, for free!

Now many of these online social resources are used productively. While being able to follow links for hours with just one search term for a starting point can waste a lot of time, it is a good way to find information that other people think is relevant. Instead of having to read countless search results to find what I'm looking for, I might stumble upon a blog where one person reviews several sites relating to my topic of interest. I can see which ones they found helpful and go from there. I could potentially use many of the more collaborative services out there to work on group projects from the comfort of my own dorm room. I could compare the fruits of my labor to those of other people around the world who have posted their work. I could see the viewpoints of lots of people and use them to better understand a topic.

Overall, I'd say social media tools can be a huge waste of time, though very entertaining. However, with proper guidance and self control, they could be used rather effectively for certain types of educational pursuits. Instead of asking the librarian what they think of various resources, you can find out what people with similar interests and needs think. I could see a lot of workplace collaboration occurring online in the future, and there is no reason why some of that wouldn't apply to a scholastic setting.

1 comment:

  1. On-line workplace collaboration is a HUGE trend. And you're right that the amount and type of information at our fingertips is so massive as to be overwhelming at times. Learning to set up your own "trusted" networks and filters is critical to both survival and sanity!

    ReplyDelete